GUY WITH INTELLECTUAL CURIOSITY: ELON MUSK
Elon Reeve Musk is the technology entrepreneur, investor, and engineer who was born in South Africa on June 28, 1971, holds South African, Canadian, and American citizenship. At 17, he moved to Canadian Queen’s University avoiding mandatory Military Service in Africa. He left in 1992 for the American University of Pennsylvania to study Business and Physics and gets graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics and a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Physics. After this, he moved to one of the top American University named Stanford University in California for a Ph.D. in Energy Physics. But just after 2 days at Stanford he gets dropped out because of coincided with the internet boom.
He found his first company- Zip2 Corporation, he sold it to Compaq for $310 million in 1999. After that, he found X.com, an online bank that merged to Confinity in 2000 and launched it as PayPal and again bought by eBay for $1.5 billion in 2002 Oct.
About Elon Musk:
ELON MUSK MAJOR CAREERS:
- Zip2: Musk and his brother Kimbal started Zip2 in 1995. It is a web software company. For the news publishing industry, this company developed and marketed an internet city guide. Musk acquired a contract on The New York Times and the Chicago Tribune. In 1999, he sold this company to Compaq for $310 million in cash.
- X.com: Musk co-founds X.com in March 1999, online finance and email Payment Company with $10 million from the sale of Zip2 which merged to Confinity in 2000 and launched it as PayPal. Later this company was bought by eBay for $1.5 billion.
- SpaceX: SpaceX is a private American Space transportation services company and aerospace manufacturer located at Hawthorne, California. Musk founded Space Exploration Technology (SpaceX) in May 2002 with his $100 million of his early fortune with a goal of reducing space .transportation cost and to enable the colonization of mars. A total of 7,000 employees are working for SpaceX (2019). The net worth of SpaceX in 2019 is $20 billion.
- Tesla: Tesla Inc. or Tesla Motors was founded in July 2003. It is the American automotive and Energy Company located in Palo Alto, California. This company manufactures electric cars through its SolarCity subsidiary. Elon Musk-led the investment in Feb 2004 as Tesla’s board of directors as its chairman. More than 45,000 employees are working for Tesla in 2019. The net worth of Tesla Inc. in 2019 is $48 billion.
- SolarCity: SolarCity is the second largest provider of solar power in the United States after Vivint Solar. It was acquired by Tesla Inc. in November 2016 and currently, it is a wholly-owned subsidiary by Tesla. More than 15,000 employees are working for SolarCity in 2019.
- OpenAI: OpenAI was founded by Elon Musk in December 2015. It is the non-profit artificial intelligence (AI) Research Company that aims to develop AI in such a way in which it would be safe, beneficial to humanity, and minimizing the danger that can be caused by AI. Around 21 employees are working for OpenAI.
- Neuralink: In 2016, Musk co-founded Neuralink with a major motto of integrating the human brain with artificial intelligence. Neuralink mostly focused on creating devices that can be implanted in the human brain safely to create mind-computer interfaces. Around 90 employees are working for Neuralink.
- The Boring Company: The Boring Company was formed in 2017 as a subsidiary of SpaceX. Its main aim is to construct tunnels. In late 2018, around 90% of equity was owned by Elon Musk and 6% by SpaceX. More than 2,000 employees are working for the Boring Company.